Playing with my new slow cooker, I made a favourite all orange ingredient, soup of mine and it was fun to just let it simmer away all morning. In fact in only took around three and a half hours until it was ripe for the hand blender. This recipe has evolved each time I’ve made it, and today I think it’s reached the peak of flavour. It’s a thick, harty soup for cold days and hungry tummy’s.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 5 large carrots
- 1 large onion
- 2 cans, drained butter beans
- 175grams of red lentils (around 6 handfuls)
- 3/4 can coconut milk
- 2 veggie stock cubes in 700ml water
- 5 tblsps curry powder (mild or medium depending on how spicy you like it)
- Salt, pepper, splash cayenne pepper
- Peel and chop veg and add to either your slow cooker or very large soup pan, (if using soup pan you may need to top up the stock water a little more).
- Literally chuck in all the ingredients and allow to simmer until ripe to blast with the hand blender
- You can play with adding more spice or coconut milk to make hotter, or cool it down again with the milk.
- Serve with a swirl of coconut milk, dash of spice ontop and eat with bread. Alternatively, because it has a chunky Indian taste, a nan bread or chapati may be nice for dipping.
Enjoy the veggie, curry, coconut orange soup and share with your buddies if you dig it 😉